field negro: The white folks are coming and the illegals better leave.

Let me start this post by saying that I love D.C., it's one of my favorite cities in the world. Even though gentrification is making what was once "chocolate city" more like butter pecan, I still love the place.


Of course, I didn’t grow up there, so my sensibilities are different. To me it's just a nice place to visit, do business, and hang out with friends who have made their homes in the area.
For the folks who grew up there, the writingof Natalie Hopkinson hits home, and it’s something that I hear in a lot of other cities where gentrification (or reverse white flight) is pricing working class minority groups out of their old neighborhoods.
So why isn’t this a good thing? Property values will go up, and conventional wisdom says that the overall quality of life in the city will improve. But some things can't be measured in dollars and cents. (continued)
field negro: The white folks are coming and the illegals better leave.

No comments: