Friday, February 26, 2016

Melissa Harris-Perry Refuses to Go on Her MSNBC Show Following Pre-Emptions



Melissa Harris-Perry has voiced disappointment in the recent handling of her show, which she said was taken away “without comment, or discussion or notice,” adding that the act was a “betrayal.”

BY: BREANNA EDWARDS
Posted: Feb. 26 2016 4:17 PM


Melissa Harris-Perry speaks at the Maya Angelou Forever Stamp Dedication at the Warner Theatre in Washington, D.C., April 7, 2015.
LARRY FRENCH/GETTY IMAGES


MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry has confirmed that she will not be appearing on the self-titled show she hosts this Saturday after several weeks of pre-emptions and what she says is a loss of editorial control, the New York Times reports.

The Times reports it obtained an email that was sent out this week to individuals Harris-Perry works with and which details Harris-Perry’s feeling that the show had been basically taken away from her and that she felt “worthless” in the eyes of NBC News executives.

“Here is the reality: Our show was taken—without comment or discussion or notice—in the midst of an election season,” she wrote, according to the news site. “After four years of building an audience, developing a brand and developing trust with our viewers, we were effectively and utterly silenced.”

In further conversations with the Times, Harris-Perry said that she has received no notice on whether her show has been canceled, expressing frustration at the pre-emptions she faced amid an election year. She added that she had not been on the network “for weeks,” and she was basically sidelined for recent election coverage in South Carolina and New Hampshire. Read more:

No comments: